Pages

Thursday, March 10, 2011

The sun will come out TOMORROW?

I am beyond ready for spring to finally get here.
I am tired of the weather forecasts that include drizzle, cold wet rain, temperatures below 50 degrees and of course snow!
Does anyone else feel like it has been an exceptionally looooooong, cold winter?
Seriously.
I know Easter is typically cold and sometimes even raining, but at least there are a couple days/weeks in between where you think the weather has turned.
Not yet, apparently.
But, I have wishful thinking right now.
I am ready to enjoy life outside of the house. And I don't mean the grocery store, or Chick-Fil-A for an afternoon to climb on the tree house with a slide. I mean really getting to spend the day outside.
In the grass. In the sunshine.
Without a coat on.
I am ready to get my hands dirty.
Dig holes. Plant some trees.
And some seeds. Hang some shudders on the front of the house. Plant flowers.
Add some more much needed landscape to our blank canvas. Mulch.

Push the kiddos on the swingset.
Let the dogs run around or just be lazy.
Set up the little red hen house in the yard. Build a fence.
We will have 25 different chickens coming the end of April. 22 female and 3 males. Egg layers. Brown eggs. And, white eggs. {squeels}


Barred Rock


Rhode Island Red

I can't wait to give them a name. You know like Bonnie. Henrietta {obvious one}. Otis.
I think the kids are really going to love taking care of them. And us too! They eat corn. And drink water.
They will come as day old chicks. And we will have to keep them inside for about the first week.
I am really looking forward to it.
Can you tell?

Never really thought I would be that person. But I am quickly evolving people.

There is such tranquility in having a farm.
And although I am far from being a farm, I am on my way to becoming at least a little self reliant.
Which I think is important at least in these coming days.
Skyrocketing gas prices are expected to change a lot of things. Including food prices.

I have talked about these things in previous posts. But I just read another interesting article about our "fossil water" supply here.

And, I can now feel the sense of urgency the good Lord is putting on me to do something for my family.
We will start with chickens. Maybe we will end up with a cow. I don't know.
I don't know if we will have enough time! {quoting from the movie Old School}

But I do know that if we don't start having some nicer weather soon... it's going to be forecasted as gloomy indoors too!

Oh I forgot to mention my most favorite part of spring! How could anyone forget this...
Cleaning!
And I mean that with as must gusto as this computer will allow.
I love being able to turn the house upside down just so I can reorganize and go through every last item. From baby clothes to toys, to my own clothes, to the stupid items that pile up in the garage all winter.
I guess I could do this any day of the week in the winter too, but it seems so much more productive with all the windows open and the great southernly Indiana breezes coming in to blow the winter dust around.

So I will leave on that note. {Dusty}

No comments:

Post a Comment