Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I've Come Down With SpRiNg Fever!!

These days of near 50 degrees are killing me!
It is just such a tease.

After a cold winter, spent indoors, I long for the days when we can be outside again.

Although it was still brisk...
this past weekend we were outside for a good two and a half hours.
{while Nadie took her nap}
 
My Sweet and Nolan cleaned out the chicken house.
Nev and I picked up lawn refuse and any trash that had been blown into our yard.
I moved the compost bin over to the garden.
My Sweet started a fire and got rid of the cardboard boxes we had in the basement.

Then, he took down the Christmas lights. Finally!
{although they are not lit, I HATE having the lights up past the second week in January}
I pulled the dead gladiola reeds, and swept the sidewalks in front.
And then rearranged the garage a bit.


And then all of a sudden, it hit me. Like a ton of bricks.
I was getting spring fever.
I felt hyper. Energized. Giddy.
 
I wanted to build the raised beds for the garden. Right then.
I wanted to construct the chicken run. Right then.
I wanted to arrange the patio furniture. Right then.
I wanted to clean out the mulch beds. Right then.
And get new plants. Right then.
Arrange them.
Plant them.
Water them.

I wanted to sow seeds. Right then.
And make garden markers out of old silverware. Right then.

I wanted to find a playset for out back and build it for the kids. Right then.
I wanted to plant more trees. Right then.
I wanted to take all the screens out of the windows and give them a good powerwash. Right then.
I wanted to fill my window planter boxes. Right then.
 
I wanted to trim the Boxwood's. Right then.
 
But instead, I came inside.
And ran my red, wind chapped, frosty fingers under some warm water.
 
It was too soon I decided.
Still too cold.
 
But I did manage to put my grandiose ideas for the new, improved garden onto a growers site.
{growveg.com}
Awesome site that tells you compatible plants, when to plant, when to harvest, how far apart to plant, ect.

I created my imaginary beds complete with rows of corn, beans, carrots, onions, pumpkins, tomato, asparagus, raspberries, rhubarb, blueberries, eggplant, watermelon, peas, cucumber, broccoli, and zucchini.
Ambitious?
Yes. Considering this is only year number three, with the first years garden being a bomb.
But my enthusiasm for homesteading should drive me to success.
That, and being organized.
 
 
 
Looks easy enough, right?

Anyways.

Our flock of ladies should be here the first week in May.
And we are so excited to be doing chickens again this year.
We are getting five Aracaunas, just for the green/blue eggs!
Then, ten Rhode Island Reds, because I just loved them so much last year.
 
No roosters this year. {Planned anyway.}
Being a novice chicken grower, I thought you had to have roosters and hens to make eggs...
learn as you go, that's how I roll.

So I am battling this spring fever, and probably will be for a couple more weeks.
But as soon as the weather turns, you can find us outside.
Getting busy.
And dirty.
With dirt. 
 
Can't wait.
To scratch this itch.
 
 
 


 
 
 


 
 
 


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment