Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

#22 Sing Loudly in the Car with the Windows Down

Lets just be honest.
This probably happens more often than not.
{to the best of my ability}
The challenge here... was to sing with the windows down.
You know, like at a stop light.
With other people around.
And act like I don't notice them cringe as I hit the high notes.
Or any note for that matter.

I recognize that I do not have an angelic voice. Or a rock and roll set of lungs.
But still, I love to belt out the lyrics to some of my faves all the same.
Even if the kids hollar at me to turn it down from the back seat.
Or the Hub changes the station mid tune.
{thats always pretty embarassing}{cough}

Lets just say, the best versions have been done solo.
And that is just what happened recently, to make me want to finally cross this one of my list.

I had the rare opportunity to make a grocery run sans children.
It was a quick stop for ingredients to make monster cookies.

It was roughly 7:50pm and the sun was lowering. The breeze was getting cooler.
I rolled down all the windows and hit the gas.
Turned on the radio to some country.
It was an okay song, so I didn't change it right away.
 
I breathed in through my nose the cool country air that we had been missing due to a heat wave all through July and part of August.
 
And thats when it happened.
The last song ended, and one of my faves of the moment {Dirt Road Anthem} began.
Ummmm, hello Jason Aldean.
Don't mind if I do.
 
I cranked it to an obscene volume and chimed right in.
 
...Yeah, I'm chillin on a dirt road
Laid back swerving like I'm George Jones
Smoke rollin out the window
An ice cold beer sittin in the console
 
Memory Lane up in the head lights
Has got me reminiscing on them good times
I'm turning off a real live drive, and that's right
I'm hitting easy street on mud tires, let's ride...
 
I was speeding down the road when I came up to a red light.
One car rolled up slowly next to me.
Their windows were up.
 
Then another car slid beside me in the turn lane.
Their windows were down...
 
I would normally lower the volume until the light turned green and I could speed away to finish my song, but not this time.
I just let it go.
And sang the 3rd chorus again as proudly as any choir lady would.
 
I can't say I looked to see their faces. Because I didn't. I couldn't.
I just watched as they turned their car down the street, away from mine.
And I was smiling inside.
It felt good to let some stranger hear my shower voice.
{I actually do NOT sing in the shower. But if I did...}
 
The song of course ended shortly after the light turned green and I did turn down the radio after that. Pulled into Kroger and bought some baking soda and the M&M's I needed to make the cookies.
 
But I put a DONE IT stamp on another 30 Before 30.
And that my friends, is how it was done.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment