Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

#10 Grow and Eat My Own Food

I was expecting to have an abundance of fruits and vegetables to talk about with this post.
But unfortunately, the green thumb I thought I had... turned out to be a little brown.
Okay, very brown.
I have been a city girl my entire life.
I can't expect a country garden the first year... right?
But I was still hopeful for the first couple months.
Until we realized that most everything in the garden got washed out in April when we had pounding rain for weeks straight.
Some of the remaining seeds got scattered to new places to mingle with other growing vegetables.
I was not trying any new hybrid form. It just sort of happened that way.

To put it plainly... my garden is quite the hodge podge.
With a ton of weeds wedged in between.
Every single plant.

I am going to be honest.
When I fugured out that most of my seeds where gone, I abandoned my responsibilities to weed the garden.
But somehow, we still got some vegetables to erupt.

Like fifty tomatoes. That are just now turning a shade of red.
Zucchini. That grows overnight.
Yellow squash.
A row or two of baby carrots. That are still half the size of store bought baby carrots??
About twenty yellow onions.
Seven mini stalks of corn.
And a lonely sunflower.

The blueberry plants died in the heat wave.
The raspberries never made it past their March planting.
And the strawberries were small. And mostly green the whole season.

I will research better for next year.
But to put this 30 Before 30 to rest... I grew and ate my own food. Okay.
Not a whole meal or anything.
But a pleasant side dish of zucchini and yellow squash from the garden, steamed with some broccoli and baby carrots, that were both store bought.
That qualifies.
Right?

Have pity.
I was picking from a pitiful garden.


 See?


But we grow 'em pretty good.


{The yellow squash too}


No comments:

Post a Comment