Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Appetite Crush: The Lake!

Having some serious lake cravings lately.
As spring turns to summer I can't help but think about all the summers spent upon the lake.





Swimming from sun up to sun down most days.
Playing King of the Raft.
Having water races.
Diving contests.
Doing gymnastics in the water.
Surviving the weeds.
Attempting angel dives. My mom was the best at them!
Trying to sink the paddle boat by fitting as many people on as possible.
Wading through the big waves from 1-4pm.
Pretending to drown while hiding out under the blow up raft. {I will kill my kids if they ever do that!}
 Getting leaches.
Eating peanut butter and honey sandwiches.
Spending weeks at a time at grandma and grandpa's.
Being made to wear T shirts while swimming.
Taking the pontoon boat around the lake.


When I met the Hub my senior year of high school I found out he also had a lake cottage.
They had only just started to become a lake family when I met him.
Although his grandparents also lived on the lake year round, they just didn't spend the time up there.

They had a speed boat.
Two waverunners.
And a double decker pontoon!
We spent about three or four complete summers tubing, waterskiing, and swimming in the middle of the lake.
Five years in his parents bought the grandparents old cottage further down the lake.
It somehow just wasn't the same.

So the time spent up there faded.
We would end up being on the lake a couple times a year. If that.
Last year we went up once.
We put the boat in. Cleaned the cottage of spider webs. And never came back.

I miss the lake.
I mostly miss the memories time on a lake can provide.
Now it's about wanting to watch my children have that experience.
The sparkling blue water.
The sound of speed boats hitting the wake.
Feeling the warmth of the pure July sun.
Falling alseep on a boat ride.
Being wrapped in a warm towel.
Sunbathing.
Wave jumping.
Giggling.
And just being happy.



Hoping and droehming I can feed this monster craving soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment