Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

#17 Make Bread from Scratch

Crusty French Bread?
Why, yes please!



This adorable little baguette {actually yielded two of them} with her perfect little golden top and chewy warm center was the perfect touch to our Sunday evening meal with the hubs parents.

And, I am pretty proud to say that it didn't come out of a quick bread box.
I didn't throw a couple ingredients into a bread machine and push a button.
I didn't drive to the grocery and pick this up in the bakery.

That's right Sandra Lee. You, semi homemade starlet, you...
I, myself opened a bag of all purpose flour, a package of yeast and carefully added salt and water to my mixing bowl.
I greased a seperate bowl and let the dough rise for an hour and then rolled it out and cut it into two loaves.
I scored the top and brushed an egg wash over them.
Then I stalked the oven as it baked for 35 minutes at 425 degrees.

When I pulled it out, I was pleasantly surprised by it's appearance.
It kind of looked like... french bread!
It didn't have that overwhelming bread smell that I kind of expected, so I was too curious to know if it actually tasted like I hoped it would...
And wouldn't you know it!
It tasted great!
It was crusty. With a chewy center. And had a good frenchy taste.
I slapped some butter on it and called the hub in... he took a bite.
Then he gushed at how good it was.
We, along with his parents, ate one whole loaf with dinner last eve!
Nev just ate the butter.
And Nolan doesn't prefer bread unless it is accompanied by turkey and cheese and mayonnaise...

All in all, I would call it an accomplishment.
I had finally made bread... from scratch.


This is how it happened.

1/4C Warm Water
1C Tepid Water
1 Package Instant Yeast (1/4oz)
1t Kosher Salt
3 1/2C All Purpose Flour
1 Egg White Beaten
1T Cornmeal {optional}

1. Add 1/4C Warm water to 1 package of yeast in a small bowl. Let it sit for a couple minutes to activate. {it will start to bubble}
2. Pour the yeast mixture into a mixing bowl. 
3. Add the salt and the tepid water to the mixing bowl.
4. Using a dough hook attachment, slowly add the 3 1/2 C all purpose flour to the mixing bowl and turn on low to medium speed to combine. {when all flour is added you should have a sticky ball of dough}
5. Spray a bowl with cooking spray and put the ball in it. Wrap the top with saran and let it rise for 1 hour.
6. Dust a surface with flour. Roll out the risen dough to about 1/2 in thick. Tuck the ends of the dough inward and jelly roll your loaf. You can decide to make two seperate loaves at this point, or one large one. If you want two loaves simply divide the amount of rolled dough in half and jelly roll them.
7. Sprinkle the cornmeal {optional} onto a cookie sheet and place seam side down. Let it rise for another 30 minutes.
8. Score the top of the bread with a sharp knife by making diagonal cuts across the top of your dough.
9. Take your egg white and beat it lightly. Using a pastry brush, apply the egg white to the top of your scored dough.
10. Bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes or until you have a nice golden brown top.

Let the bread cool for at least ten minutes before slicing. And, enjoy!




Next on my to do list for breadmaking is an artisan bread with whole wheat flour.
And of course sandwich bread. Will post about my successes as they happen.
{my pizza dough experiments are still a work in progress}

Interested to know what else I have on my 30 before 30? Go here. 

Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment