Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

Food Finds

We have officially been an Organic family since the start of the year.
And we have not looked back in anguish.
Surprisingly.

I really thought it would be a great trial to eat better food.
For money and taste.

But, I can honestly report that the food we are eating has never tasted better, and while it costs slightly more, we are happy to put money towards something we are fond of spending money on anyways.

We have always been foodies.
Since I can remember My Sweet and I have dined together as opposed to gambling our money away, smoking it away, spending it on clothes, shoes, handbags, watches, TV's.... 
Whether it be at a restaurant, or at home we love to eat food. Good food.
And have always spent a great deal of money doing so.

I can remember a trip to Miami in 2007 when we plopped a hefty $450 down to enjoy a Kobe beef steak, asparagus, and potato for dinner. With pears, and grapes, and brie cheese for dessert. Aside from a few drinks, we spent that ridiculous amount on a dinner. Sick.

Those were the days before kids of course. Nolan didn't join our family until 2008 :)

Anyways, back to the food.
So the beginning of January I literally purged our pantry, cabinets and fridge of all processed, GMO riddled foods and put them into big black trash bags to be donated. I ended up with four. Full bags.
Made My Sweet's stomach turn seeing all that money being "thrown away". But I couldn't possibly keep it knowing it was slowly killing our kids. And us.

I was set to donate the food to our local Seminary, since people still have to eat, and given the times, if I can't use it, I know someone else still can.

But by way of our Lord, we were lead to give the food to a gentleman at My Sweet's work. He has two children, one of which is sick, and needs a brain surgery to remove a tumor, and a wife. They live in a trailer, which they own, along with both their cars, but are struggling to meet their needs at the grocery store because of medical bills and the small paychecks that the husband and wife bring home every month.

He was beyond grateful. Obviously. 
Said his kids faces just lit up when they saw the cereal, and the cookie mixes.

Broke my heart, because we have been so fortunate to be "picky" about what we eat, and to even make the decision to go organic only. Always having plenty. An abundance in fact.

So many go without. I know we are blessed beyond measure. And I do not take it for granted.

The journey into Organic only has been a good one thus far. I think it is possible to find a substitute organically for nearly everything out there. It comes at a price right now. But I think the more that people get informed and refuse to eat the other crap, it will come down in price because it will be more accessible.


So get out there. And start transitioning and phasing out the bad stuff in your own pantry. Refuse to eat crap.
You don't have to be crazy like us, and purge your entire pantry and start over.
You can buy a little every time you go to the store instead of the other stuff and before you know it, you too will have an organic only cabinet/fridge/pantry.

A little bit of advice: 
While the health food store in town offers only natural/organic variety foods and vitamins/herbs, ect it does cost more than the same label brands that you can find in a grocery store such as Meijer or even Kroger. Unless they are having a sale, or it something you know you can't get at the regular grocery, I would stick to shopping at the big name stores. Unless money isn't an object. 

Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment