Pages

Monday, January 21, 2013

A look back, and a glimpse forward

Nolan started {pre}school this year.
And as exciting as it has been to bring his little book bag home after school, to see what things he learned and created, it has also brought with it... sickness.
Not the bag persay, but just him, in general. Coming home on a Monday and ending up with a cough {or watery eyes, sneezing, or a fever!} a couple days later. And then having it spread to the girls a day or so after that.

That is the extent of our last week in this house. 
Monday Nolan headed off to school and came home fine. Our usual day errands ensued
By Tuesday morning though, the poor boy had his sad little droopy eyes, and a groggy mood in full force.
He was still playing with his superheroes and fighting with Nev just as usual, so I didn't think much of it until we went to dinner with my mom for her birthday later that evening.
Normally, Nolan would have been very into Meemaw's "party". Climbing on her lap at dinner, and asking to get tickled. 
But instead he was quiet. Sat in his own chair nearly the entire dinner, and {almost} passed on having a slice of her birthday cake!
He had actually asked to leave the festivities about three times before we were finally in the car driving home.
He seemed to feel a bit warm at that point, and had rosy cheeks and sad droopy {watery even} eyes.  


Wednesday morning rolled around and he popped out of bed. Felt good he said. No sign of a fever. 
He had to bring "snack" all week at school, so I was glad he felt good to go.
After school he progressed back into the droopy watery eyes again. And was now coughing. Like all the time.
By Wednesday afternoon, Nev presented with the same symptoms. No fever. Just coughing. And extremely watery, sad looking eyes. Nadie was still lively at this point. Crawling around quickly and taking various items out of their respective "home". Namely the pans, bowls, and food in the pantry in the kitchen. 
Her faves.


Thursday. Nadie's birthday. 

Nev wakes up with her eyes crusted over. Both of them. Looks like boogers from her nose... except they are on her eyes. She freaks out. Screaming in fact because she can't open them. So I get her in a warm bath, and wash them off. Nolan has some crusted eyes too. Not as bad as Nev's though.
Nadie has watery eyes. UGH!!!

The timeline is just crazy. You can just see the virus creeping along to the next child. And there is nothing you can do except treat the symptoms.

So Nolan and Nev are mostly content throughout the day. While Nadie, is deteriorating. 
She is developing a slight fever. 
Getting overly irritable. 
Watery eyes. 
Sneezing. 
Coughing. 
Still eating but not wanting her usual full 8oz bottle of milk. 
So, I give her Ibuprofen. She is doing good enough to run an errand and get her formula and cupcakes at the store for birthday tonight.
I make dinner. And we celebrate Nadie with a little singing and a cupcake.
{these pictures are from the 12th}





 
By her bedtime she is wheezing on expiration.
Congested.
And just looks sad.

So I make her the bedtime "baba" and put a vaporizer in our room with menthol.
She begrudgingly fell asleep. From pure exhaustion.
I felt terrible.
She just looked miserable. But I wasn't yet ready to make a trip to the ER. 
I am momma. I can manage her symptoms {they are not life threatening}. At least until tomorrow if need be.

She woke up at intervals of 1am, 2am, 4am, 5am, and 6am.
By 6am she sounded horrible.
Rapid, shallow breathing.
Wheezing.
And having retractions.

So after the Hub left to take Nolan to school, I immediately called the doctor and made an appointment.
I pick up Nolan from school and talk to his teacher briefly to find out her husband currently has RSV... 
um, great.
Wonder where we got the virus from.
 
That afternoon, we sat in the doctor's office and proceeded to get TWO breathing treatments for little Miss, and a quick look over to find that Nadie had an ear infection, and was indeed having retractions that were caused by a virus that ended up turning into a bronchial virus for her, as opposed to Nolan and Nev that just ended up getting sick with basically a common cold.
I left that office, two hours later, after her O2 sats came up to 95 from 88, with FIVE prescriptions people!

Not a happy momma. Or poppa {who was so worried about his little girl}.

I am a naturalist when it comes to remedies. I do not visit the doctor unless the kids or myself are dying {or there is the threat of death if left untreated, which in this case I had suspicions of RSV...}. And then to have to treat with antibiotics... yuck. But I sucked it up for the sake of my little sugar beet feeling better.
And she did. After about 12 hours. Breathing normally. 
And just turning back into the Nadie we all know.
She has since progressed into full force Nadie since.

Smiling. 
Fake laughing. 
Throwing toys like a MLB player. {no joke, this girl has got an arm on her}
Climbing the stairs. 
And taking a couple steps between her daddy and I back and forth!!!

This girl will be walking on her own within a couple weeks time I just know it. She tries standing on her own in the middle of the room right now. And has gained the confidence to take a couple steps without the help of her sissy's baby stroller in front of her, or even my hand.


So this post is long.
Sorry.
I was just ready to recount the last week/weekend in case anyone cared.



My birthday is this week. Thursday actually. 
My sweet and I are going out Friday BY OURSELVES, for a {birthday} date.  
We have a babysitter and everything! Wootie woot!


Anyways, I'll be 31. In the year 2013. Something special about that. I think.
And, this year I am looking forward to doing something that 1}Serves a purpose 2}Can generate a little extra income 3} and is something I enjoy.

I have already created a new Etsy shop. Her name is Nella Eulalia. 
Look me up on Facebook and "like" my page. 
{Please!}
It is going to be more focused on high end whimsical hair musings and brooches. 
I adore felt. And vintage style embellishments. And ribbon. Ostrich and marabou puffs.
You know fancy little findings.

We'll see how much time I actually get to devote to it. Since at this very moment Nadie is reaching for me, and screeching because her organic bananas are all gone and she is ready for her afternoon nap.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment