Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Six! Holy cow that happened fast!

*old post that was never published

Six. 
How can it be that you are now six?

Nolan,

It is getting harder to find the time to sit down and look at your life in review of the last year, because you are becoming increasingly busier as you get older. Which in turns makes things busier for me.

But here goes:

You are such a good example for your younger siblings. 
I am so proud of who you are. 
You treat the girls with kindness and respect. And at the same time, enjoy tricking them or wrestling with them like they were one of the guys. 

You are funny. 
Witty. You think on your feet.
And have a heart of gold. 
You are wild with creativity. 
And love to build.

Recently we have been enjoying board games. 
You can actually beat me at checkers!
You love it when I have to king you. And when you jump one of my guys.
You are always black. I am always red.
It's the "rules".
But I also like to play kerplunk, and marbles with you.
You are usually the one who wins, and are not the best at losing.. but after being on the coach pitch baseball team this summer, you are getting more used to it :)

You love to be outside. 
Play. Get sweaty. 
Kick a ball. 
Swing a bat.
Ride your bike. Or Razor scooter.
Get pushed on the swings, to include a couple "short stops" and "underdogs".
Or play "Giant" on the playset, where I have to chase you and the girls around and call out "fee fi fo fum" as you try and outrun me. You are quick. But sometimes I am sneaky, and will run under the playset and meet you on the other side. To which you scream, and then laugh, as I tickle you. 
And then it's your turn to be the Giant.

You wear shoes without socks.
Have stinky boy feet.
And often refuse a shower. Or bath. 

I have to remind you to brush your teeth. 
And to put your clothes in the dirty laundry.

You love to unwind on the couch, just like your daddy. And love a good "movie theater" at home.
Complete with a barrage of treats.

You have a soul that is on fire for our Creator, and it astounds me how many bible stories you can relay. I love to hear you tell the girls bedtime stories from the bible after we have read our book and said our prayers, and you are supposed to be sleeping. I love that you were brought to inconsolable tears one night because you told the story of Jesus dying on the cross for us. And you were so overcome with gratitude that you hid under the blanket and just wept. It was a beautifully, soggy moment. And I will always remember it.

You talk about moving to Florida. Often.
Saying that you are going to live on the ocean.
But not go swimming very deep, because there are big squid in there.
And you always let me know that we will still live together.
Unless I make you mad. Then you say that you will be like Kevin in Home Alone, to which you will start jumping up and down and saying, "When I grow up, I'm living alone. Do you hear me? I'm living alone! I'm living alone!" And I of course pretend to be sad, and then you try to hide smiling about hurting my feelings, and then we usually end up in a tickle fight, and you finally agree that I CAN live with you again.

You start a full day of school this year, and I hate that half of your day will be with someone other than me. But I am excited for you to learn to read and make new friends, since your preschool buddy for the last two years, Matteo, is in the other kindergarten class. You are not overly enthused about school as is, preferring recess over any real homework or learning duties. But I do think you will enjoy the accomplishment that comes along with learning new things.

Since your birthday has just recently passed, there is already talk about next years party.
Your imagination and zest for life is beautiful.

I love you.
To the moon and back, my boy.

~Mama





No comments:

Post a Comment