Pages

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A hatchery and a window garden! Oh, and some snow.

So.
My basement kind of smells like an {outdoor} farm right now.
Only slightly.
But I can still smell it.

Why?
Because we got some new hatchlings on Sunday. 
That's right, chickens!
 
 Daddy putting the new baby chicks in their temporary home.

 Watching them after we "taught" them where the water and feeder were.

 I think they are starting to remember the chickens from last year...


 
They are a Broiler breed, which means we will eat them in a couple months when they get up to size.
Our egg layers won't be here for a couple more weeks.
{Which by the way, I got Aracauna this year, just for the blue green eggs!! Can't wait!}
But let me just say how excited I am to have our feathery friends back!
 
I just love our chickens.
They really are so easy to take care of.
They have an impeccable memory, even if they are not regarded as being very intelligent.
You only have to show them where their water and food is once {by dipping their little beaks in it}, and they are able to take care of it from there.

The other order of business that I am super excited about as of late, is starting my indoor seedlings so I can transplant in a couple weeks to the outside.
I have a long list of hopeful vegetables for this years garden to include:
Corn
Beans
Peas
Carrots
Celery
Potatoes
Onions
Habanero Peppers
Broccoli
Zucchini
Pumpkins~ the typical carvers, as well as white, and a blue/gray variety
Watermelon
Tomato
Eggplant
Cucumber
Garlic

Not to mention Blueberries, Raspberries, and Strawberries!
And, if I am just being honest, I will probably buy more apple trees this year and cluster them in a small bed of their own, even though I have never had luck keeping one alive.
 
Not all of my seeds have to be started indoors. I currently just have the two tomato plants growing nicely in the windowsill downstairs. But, am hoping to have my other seeds here by Friday to start the broccoli, eggplant, pumpkins, onions and habaneros. 
{I ordered from seedsavers.org and got mostly an organic variety. Otherwise, they are heirloom.
They were a good price, and the organization is a good cause. Preserving heirloom seeds.}

Anyone else ready for spring? Next week is the official first day, and I can't help but think of last year when we have record high temps for a whole week in the 80's!!!

 
Because seriously, I am over winter.
Even though that snow storm we had last week, was so much fun!!
We made our first snowman of the winter... and it was the second week in March.

We played outside for about two hours before the kids said they were done.
I could have been out longer, but I don't think it is appropriate to roll around in the snow making angels, or sledding down our small hills, by myself. Namely because my angels would be inside. Unsupervised. And hungry. Which would reek {very hard to get out, stain causing} havoc on the living room carpet, no doubt.

Here are some of my favorite pics from the snowfall.














No comments:

Post a Comment